Sunday, October 31, 2010

Interesting question as I encounter comparable points almost always in academic rounds

Interesting question as I encounter comparable points almost always in academic rounds. People from different fields of research have their own particular truth of an event definition. So my guess is that you will get as many answers to your question as many people you ask.

Although you maintain a quite comprehensive collection of terminology definitions on you webpage I still think that people lack in understanding for several reasons. From my point of view, the major problem is because events are "something" highly subjective which are heavily influenced by the domain that you are dealing with.

I actually had a hard time to pinpoint definitions to this topic when writing my thesis. Therefore, I approached this problem by deriving definitions from various relevant fields that are valid throughout my problem domain and still are open enough not to exclude finer grained domain-specific definitions.

By the way - regarding your examples there is an interesting paper that is addressing event detection in the area of information retrieval which is called "Applying Semantic Classes in Event Detection and Tracking" [1].


--
[1] Juha Makkonen, Helena Ahonen-Myka, and Marko Salmenkivi. Applying semantic classes in event detection and tracking. In Rajeev Sangal and S. M. Bendre, editors, Proceedings of International Conference on Natural Language Process ing (ICON 2002), pages 175-183, Mumbai, India, 2002.
srozsnyai
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share